30 Days Wild: Day 8


Don't cut the verges!

For day 8 of 30 Days Wild, I didn't even go outdoors! I couldn't find a recent picture to represent my idea for today, and I'm all stuffed up with hayfever, so I decided to give my sinuses a rest. For the photo I had to really dig into my archives to find one of a grass verge! They're so boring around here that I haven't photographed one for years!

Today, I emailed the county council to ask them to leave the grass verges alone! Grass verges, when left to their own devices, are a potentially brilliant little ecosystem for all kinds of creatures. With pollinators being at such a high risk from our modern way of life, I thought I'd do my best to help them on a larger scale. Screenshots of my email are below!



The verges are currently cut between two and eight times a year, depending on the speed limit of the road (details here.) Some of this cutting takes place during prime wildflower season. I thought I'd use the eighth to try to get that eight times down to zero!

It will be interesting to see what the council say about this!

You can read all of my 30 Days Wild posts here!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.